Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Windows 10 for free

A few days ago a friend sent me an article about how Windows 10 is going to be offered free to 7 and 8 users for a limited time.  I hate to say it, but this kind of thing makes me tense.  Change on my laptop always does--I spend a lot of time here, and rolling the dice on a makeover of my most used space carries a huge anxiety factor.  I don't like change for the sake of change, so it should be pretty obvious...

I didn't understand Windows 8.  I don't hold it against anyone who loved this OS, but I had to install a third party client to make the tiles go away and bring back my familiar start menus.

And I still don't understand the tiles.  Sometimes I get to a screen where I MUST use the tiles to do something, and I ESC out and find a different way to complete my task.  Or I just don't complete it.  I have to wonder how much Windows 8 cost companies in productivity due to employees like me.  Don't get me wrong--I love tiles on my touch screens, and I get that some computers have them now, but mine does not.

This is why I'm not an early adopter.  I wait until after the first patch has been offered, crashed everything, fixed again, and people start complaining that they didn't fix a handful of minutiae with it.
My husband, however, did want the aforementioned upgrade (he didn't get the tiles, either), and Windows 10 does appear to be an improvement.  The tiles have been down played to occupy a smaller spot in the start menu (I still cringe when I see them, because they've beaten me with the stupid stick too many times before), and from what he says, the OS is much more cloud-centric now.

I'm still going to hold out for the first patch to get fixed.

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment