Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Putting one of my series in Kindle Unlimited

Over the last few weeks, I've found myself spending a lot of time thinking about the various publishing options out there.  There are a lot of them--everything from vanity press to traditional publishing.  Even within Kindle Direct Publishing, there is a choice to put the book into the Kindle Select program, thereby making it exclusive to the Kindle for 90 days.

I have dabbled with Select a few times in the past, but never saw enough of a response to warrant keeping the titles in.  By that, I mean that I don't think Select increased my readership enough (or, let's face it--at all) on Kindle to warrant taking the book away from fans on other platforms.

...And along came Kindle Unlimited, Amazon's new paid subscription service that is bundled into the Kindle Select program.  I am hearing from some fellow authors that they are reaching new readers through Kindle Unlimited.  I am hearing from other authors that the program did nothing for them.  It seems that genre is a big factor in whether or not the program benefits a specific series or even a specific book.

After some consideration (and believe me, this was a big decision), I have decided that I'm going to try putting the Redemption series into Kindle Unlimited in the coming months, just for 90 days, to see what happens.  During this time, the Redemption books will be unavailable at other ebook venues, but Waldgrave will still be available everywhere.

I have started the take down process to remove the books from other vendors, including Nook, Kobo, and Apple, and I expect they will be down sometime in the next 2 weeks.

I know there are a few fans out there reading on Nook and Kobo (and others), and if that's you, please shoot me an email.  I don't want to make the books inaccessible to anyone, so I want to work out an availability schedule on those other platforms that won't conflict with Amazon's terms of service.  I'm also seeking beta readers for Redemption, so feel free to throw your name in the hat if you're interested!

Thanks,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment