Thursday, January 19, 2012

To KDP Select, or not to KDP Select....

All right, writing buddies, I have a question.  And a bit of a moral dilemma.

So, Amazon has put me in a tight spot with it's KDP Select program.  If an author opts in, their book will be included in the Kindle Lending Library (sweet!), but as a condition of opting in, the book must be available exclusively on Kindle for at least a 90 day period (major bummer).

I don't think I would do this with my Waldgrave series.  Some of my earliest fans are Nook owners, and while I don't think any ereader is inherently better than another (we're all book nerds here, after all), it seems wrong to screw over any of my fans by removing my books and business from any platform.  Somehow, it feels a little dirty of Amazon to use an exclusivity clause in that manner.

After some consideration, I'm still not sure if this is something I want to try with a new title or not.  However, it did get me thinking about doing a free book promotion now that the Waldgrave trilogy is out; I've heard a lot of people are interested in the series, but not quite ready to take the plunge of paying the $0.99.  A publishing friend told me I might have more success if I *raised* the price of the books to $2.99 (seriously, what's up with that?).

So, what I'm thinking is that I might drop the first book to free and raise the other two...this seems fair, because my early fans would still have gotten a great price (three books for $0.99/ea vs. three for about $6), and the first book free would kind of serve as a sample to the series.

I don't know how any of this will play out.  It's a Thursday night and I'm avoiding the chores I should be doing, so I will probably decide something this weekend.

Al

3 comments:

  1. $ 0.99 is too low for a good book anyway - plus you get only 35% royalty. And for your $ 2.99 you will receive 70%.

    That's approx. $0.35 compared to approx. $ 2.00...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's always been more of a hobby than a business, so the low price is just kind of neat to get more readers to check out my first books.

    (Though to be entirely honest, the dreamer in me has done the math to see the price point where I get to stay home and write for a living...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I'll do KDP select unless it's obvious Smashwords isn't working. I don't like the idea of exclusivity, even if it's only 3 months.

    ReplyDelete